Sunday, July 5, 2009

Quotable Quotes

I love quotes. If I find one that I like and it moves me, I will write it down. I have been known to pull out my favorite and use them in a pinch to make my point during a discussion with someone. Mind you, I can't remember my name on certain days, but Useless Information and I are on a first name basis here - have been for a very, very long time.


Favorite Quote #1: Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall - Confucius. Now I have heard this quote attributed to some other guy, but I prefer the moral philosopher's version. As a teacher, I cannot tell you how many times I have whipped this puppy out with the older students who hate to try because they may not succeed. Sometimes the best thing you can do is learn from your mistake, get up, brush yourself off, and keep trucking. It's a tough concept to swallow at times, but it is so very important to learn.

Favorite Quote #2: If we hold resentments towards the people who let us down, we will be exhausted - Page-A-Day-Calendar. I found this quote on my calendar, at the most important time and when I needed it most. I had been harboring some deep resentment towards my sister about things that were completely my issue, and it had been affecting our once close relationship. I finally sat with her at dinner one evening and told her everything that had been bothering me over the past couple years, letting all my thoughts out - rational or not - explaining to her that this was how I was viewing the situation even though it may not have been that way for her. When I was finished, I told her that I was sorry for having kept it bottled in for so long instead of just talking to her about it and promised in the future to bring my issues to her instead of letting them fester. I cannot explain to you the relief and happiness I felt after unloading that evening. Simply by telling her my feelings, being able to let them go, all my hurt and anger just disappeared. It was one of the biggest life-lessons I learned that day. I did not once expect her to apologize for anything and she didn't have to because the problem had been me - not her. Letting go of that freed me. I just wish more people would learn to let go of their burdens that load them down, that tie them to the past. Those things can't be undone - but you can learn from them and move forward. It's always your choice.

Favorite Quote #3: No man is worth your tears, but the one who is, won't make you cry - anonymous. I have heard this one many times too, but Lordy, Lordy, it's so true. And let me tell you, I wasted a lot of tears. But as many a good country song say, you have to bless the broken road, dance the dance, and just live like you were dying - because when you do get there, Mr. Right will be waiting.


Now for a question about a quote...

If a rolling stone gathers no moss, then please explain to me why my ceiling fan can be running non-stop for a week, but when I turn it off, it is covered in dust???




Isn't that gross? Not my fan, but you get the idea of where I'm coming from...

2 comments:

I'm curious what you have to say, so please leave me a note...