Thursday, June 11, 2009

To be clutter free

I have a few friends that upon walking into their house, you notice their few pieces of furniture, well placed pictures on the wall, an occasional vase or candle on a table, and basically nothing else. Their house could be an example page from a Pottery Barn catalog. It's simple but lived in and refreshingly uncluttered.


My house, by comparison, looks like a yard sale blew up in it. (Note - neither are my home, but I wouldn't mind the top one being mine.)



photo credit


I am so tired of clutter. If I could have that show Clean House come to me and get rid of everything, I would let them. By no means is my house the utter disaster those homes are. We aren't collapsing under the weight of piles of rubbish (wow - did I just say rubbish? When did I become English?) Anyway, myself and my husband included are notable pack-rats, and basically lazy on top of it -- primo-procrastinators. If there is a tomorrow, by golly, it will get done then! But because of that, I have bills that have piled up since 2002, books that I have read for the past 10 years that are causing the shelves to buckle under the weight of them, and boxes of photos that haven't been organized into the scrapbooks I have been saying for years I'm going to make.

So right now I'm undertaking the task of cleaning up our office, which has taken the brunt of our madness for the past several years. As we clean up the other parts of the house, the things that don't fit in the small rooms out "there" got squeezed into "here" where I'm currently sitting typing this blog instead of cleaning. See, I told you, mistress of procrastination!

2 comments:

  1. I've read of few of your blogs. I noticed that you say you have the urge to be creative.

    Well, you could purge some of your old stuff, organize, and work on those scrapbooks. You could even try to use some of your old stuff in a creative way. And just dump the rest of it. It could be a sort of re-birth for you. And a way to focus all of your creative energy. What better place to focus that enery than into your home? If you can make it a comforting place to be again, then maybe you'd feel better too.

    I'm not talking about cleaning and work. I'm talking about taking the things that you love and putting them into your home. It's all in how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie! I'm also Angie. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love reading blogs, it's my guilty pleasure. I'm going to start reading yours now...

    ReplyDelete

I'm curious what you have to say, so please leave me a note...